Welcome to my homepage!
I am a Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Quantum Technologies in Singapore and a visiting scientist at the University of Oxford, where I am part of the Quantum Systems Engineering group. I am a theoretical physicist working in the field of quantum physics and its applications in Quantum Technologies.
Quantum technologies aim to enhance the performance of next-generation technologies by exploiting the laws of quantum physics. Quantum physics is the branch of physics that describes the laws of nature that apply to microscopic objects which are much smaller than those of our everyday life. The typical size of these microscopic objects is a single atom, which is a basic unit of matter. Almost one hundred years after the invention of quantum physics, our increasing ability to control complex physical systems on the quantum level promises to dramatically enhance the performance of applications like sensing, metrology, communication, imaging, and computing. More details about my current research can be found here.
- (29.05.2019) Our paper on UV and THz generation in hot Rubidium vapor gets published: M. Lam, S. B. Pal, T. Vogt, C. Gross, M. Kiffner, and W. Li, Collimated UV light generation by two-photon excitation to a Rydberg state in Rb vapor, Optics Letters 44, 2931 (2019).
- (07.05.2019) We submitted our manuscript on Mott polaritons in cavity-coupled quantum materials to the arXiv: M. Kiffner, J. Coulthard, F. Schlawin, A. Ardavan, and D. Jaksch, Mott polaritons in cavity-coupled quantum materials, arXiv:1905.02044.
- (07.03.2019) Our paper on fractional quantum Hall states on a finite Cylinder gets published: P. Rosson, M. Lubasch, M. Kiffner, and D. Jaksch, Bosonic Fractional Quantum Hall States on a Finite Cylinder, Phys. Rev. A 99, 033603 (2019).
- (01.03.2019) Our second paper on microwave-to-optical conversion gets published: T. Vogt, C. Gross, J. Han, S. B. Pal, M. Lam, M. Kiffner, and W. Li, Efficient microwave-to-optical conversion using Rydberg atoms, Phys. Rev. A 99, 023832 (2019).
- (11.02.2019) Our paper on quantum materials in cavities gets published: M. Kiffner, J. Coulthard, F. Schlawin, A. Ardavan, and D. Jaksch, Manipulating Quantum Materials with Quantum Light, Phys. Rev. B 99, 085116 (2019). See also Erratum at Phys. Rev. B 99, 099907 (2019).
- (18.07.2018) Our paper on parametric driving gets published: A. S. D. Dietrich, M. Kiffner, and D. Jaksch, Probing microscopic models for system-bath interactions via parametric driving, Phys. Rev. A 98, 012122 (2018).
- (14.06.2018) Our paper on efficient norm-conserving pseudopotentials for density functional theory calculations gets published: M. Kiffner, D. Jaksch, and D. Ceresoli, A polynomial Ansatz for norm-conserving pseudopotentials, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 30, 275501 (2018).